I love the new year and all the new opportunities, unwritten chapters and the new possibilities it brings with it. The goal setting, the this is the year I am going to get fit, or this is the year I am going to lose that extra weight, or this is the year I am going to buy a house. The first week or so goes great you’re going to the gym daily, you’re drinking the green smoothies, your sticking to your new budget, you are feeling great, everything is on track to a great year ahead. Then…. March comes, and you think where is the motivation I had at the beginning of the year? The daily grind has set in, work is busy, life is busy, our goals have taken a back step, the motivation has gone, what do you do?
This is where I have found myself in the past couple of weeks, I started the year well with my health and fitness goals, and the last couple of weeks I have got the gym only once a week. I’m tired, work got busy, life happened, and the motivation was lacking. How many of us are feeling this way as March sets in. How are you doing with the goals you set? How are you doing with the dreams you want to achieve this year?
So often this is the time of year that the motivation lacks and its easy just to throw in the towel. The year started off so well, but it feels hard to maintain. Shall you just give up and wait till next year and hope that next year will be your year? One thing I have learnt along the way is we can wait till a new year to set our goals or we can START TODAY. Don’t write the year off already. Its March, there is much more of the year before us than behind us.
As I went for a run yesterday I reflected on the things that keep me motivated, that keep me going when the motivation starts to wear off and life gets in the way of me achieving all that I wanted to this year. Here are the key things that keep me motivated and get me back on track when that New Years buzz starts to wear off.
- Take a moment and just breathe, you haven’t failed, everything is going to be okay
- Every day is a new day to begin again, to keep going, to keep working towards your goals.
- Be present in the moment to reflect on where you have come from and where you are going.
Know your why
- Its hard to achieve our goals and dreams when we don’t have a strong enough why.
- Why do you want to lose weight? To be healthy, to feel confident, to have more energy?
- Knowing your why gives your goals and dreams more weight and more motivation to achieve them
- Know your why and set your priorities, if it’s a goal to exercise more this year to be healthier, schedule it, prepare for it, remind yourself of your why when life starts to get in the way.
Get a support team
- Find your people who will keep you accountable to achieve your goals, the ones you know you can send a message to when you are needing some encouragement
- Surround yourself with people who will help push you towards your goal, and if you don’t have these people, who can you follow on Social Media that is living your dream or further along in the journey than you are, this can help motivate you
Set yourself small achievable goals
- When we set ourselves small goals along the way to reaching our big goal, it gives us something to focus on and keep us motivated
- You might want to lose 20kgs, but you aren’t going to lose that after your first run or your first week of eating healthy, goals and dreams take time and require many small steps along the way.
- As the saying goes about eating an elephant, one bite at a time, the same goes with setting and achieving goals, we have to take it in small steps.
Believe in yourself
- Believing in yourself will the things the pushes you when it gets hard, for me this has been one of my biggest lessons in life when it comes to me succeeding. So often I would doubt myself and give up. I realised I am the only one that holds me back from reaching my dreams. Nobody else. Sure, you can have other people believing in you and that can bring some motivation, but the belief you have in yourself and your ability to achieve what you have set out to achieve is going to be what gets you there.
- So often we can let our self-doubts creep in and mess with our progress, our negative self-talk that can come when we start to lose motivation can really set us back in our goals, thoughts of “see I knew you couldn’t do it, better to give up now” “you have tried before and failed so why would it work this time?” This is when we have to fight back and back ourselves and turn our negative self-talk into positive self-talk. When you start to believe that you can do it this will give you the drive to keep going.
These are just a few of the key things I do when I am in need of some motivation to keep pressing towards my dreams. We are all human and we need to have grace for ourselves. Its March, we might not be as far along as we thought we would be by now but that’s okay. Today is a new day, a new day to continue towards our dreams. Good things take time. Be kind to yourself.